Showing posts with label Storm-hit Madeira. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Storm-hit Madeira. Show all posts

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Manchester United sign unknown 20-year old Portuguese Bebe

Manchester United manager,
revealed that he went totally out of his way to sign the young striker from Portugal, Tiago Correia, better known as Bebe. The 20-year old is the 3rd signing for Manchester United this season. He was signed for 7 million pounds. Manchester United made use of a release clause in his contract with Vitoria Guimaraes.
The transfer is no ordinary one, and is full of remarkable little stories.  Bebe spent a lot of time on the streets of Portugal and played for a team that was put together by CAIS, the organization that puts together the homeless team for Portugal.
He later signed with Vitoria and after just 5 weeks made his way to Manchester United. He was picked out by the Portugal based scout of Manchester United. He was also heavily recommended by the former right hand of Sir Alex Ferguson Carlo Queiroz, who is now the coach of the national team of Portugal.
No one knew anything about Bebe a year ago, when he played for the 3rd division team in Portugal named Amadora.  Since then a number of top clubs in Europe including Real Madrid started to ask around about the young talent. Ferguson decided to act fast and despite having seen him play the United manager decided to take his former assistant’s word and signed the 20-year old.
Sir Alex Ferguson said that he has not seen him play, and he has never done this in the past.  He said that normally he gets to see numerous videos but he admitted that it was just his instinct to sign him and hopes that it pays off well. He said that his Portugal Scout was insistent that if we don’t sign him some other club will, so we had to act fast and Ferguson said that whatever he has heard till now is very impressive and he cannot wait to see him in action.
He said when we sign a player, it’s the pace talent and agility of the player that are observed. Ferguson said that for the first time that he has put his faith in word of mouth and hopes that he was right.
He said the he discussed it with the club’s CEO David Gill, and he decided to go to Portugal and make the deal final.
It is not sure when he will make his debut for the team, it is expected that Bebe would have to wait till the 3rd round Carlin Cup match to put on the red of United for the senior team.
Considering Bebe’s biggest game so far has been a cup tie against Benfica, it certainly is a fairy tale story and all would be waiting to see how he performs for the Red Devils. Many have already started to make comparisons with Cristiano Ronaldo as he also came to United when he was an unknown young player. He matured into world’s best player, but it is unfair to make such comparisons. That is what happened with Nani and although he has held his own, he has not been able to match his compatriot by a distance.
Bebe, when asked by reporters of what he can do, had a very simple and honest answer, he said he is fast, can kick the ball quiet well, and can also score goals. Well if he can live up to the simple promise it would be worth the 7 million spent by Ferguson.


(source:blogs.bettor.com/)

Bebe to follow Ronaldo's footsteps

Manchester United,
new-boy Bebe has set himself the target of emulating fellow countryman Cristiano Ronaldo.

As Ronaldo ended up being crowned world footballer of the year during his time at Old Trafford, it is a fairly stiff test, but - it could be argued - Bebe has already won his biggest battle, dragging himself away from the streets to get picked up by one of the world's most glamorous clubs, so anything else is easy.

The 20-year-old said: "You have very big names like Cristiano Ronaldo, who has played here and is a very big player now. Nani and Anderson are still at the club. I want to become like them and I will work hard to become a top quality player."

He added: "To come to a team like Manchester United is a dream come true for any player. The Portuguese factor at Old Trafford was a motivation for me."

Bebe became Ferguson's third summer signing last week when he joined in a £7million deal after United triggered a release clause in his contract with Vitoria Guimaraes.

It was a transfer full of remarkable footnotes, not least the fact Bebe used to play for a team organised by CAIS, the organisation responsible for Portugal's Homeless World Cup Team.

He then ended up joining United after spending only five weeks with Vitoria, having been highlighted by U
"On this occasion I didn't watch him," admitted the United boss. "It is the first time I have done it. Normally I see plenty of video footage but our scouting department is very good and sometimes you have to go on instinct.
nited's Portugal-based scout and gained a glowing recommendation from former United assistant manager and current Portugal national team boss Carlos Queiroz.

Bebe was virtually unknown 12 months ago as he turned out for Portugal third division team Estrela Amadora. But with Real Madrid and a number of top clubs in Portugal starting to take a keen interest, Ferguson decided to make a move, even though he had never seen the striker play, even on video.


"Our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly. You got to trust your staff at times, so I sent David Gill down there to do the deal."

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Madeira flood rescuers search streets and houses

Rescue workers are searching mud-filled streets and houses on the Portuguese island of Madeira after flash floods left at least 40 people dead.

More than 120 others were injured and an unknown number are missing, raising fears that the death toll could rise.

Heavy rains brought tonnes of mud and stones down the slopes of the island, flooding the streets of the regional capital, Funchal, and other towns.

Water, power and telecommunications were cut in some areas.
The weather improved on Sunday following Saturday's rains, making it easier for rescue workers.

But regional social services spokesman Francisco Ramos said there were "great difficulties" in communications and that the death toll "will likely increase, given the circumstances of this flood".

Prime Minister Jose Socrates, on the island, said he was "profoundly shocked" by the severity of the floods, and promised that his government would help Madeira recover as quickly as possible.

The Portuguese military has sent specialist rescue and medical teams to the island.

The Spanish government has offered its help with the rescue effort.

Madeira, which is located about 900km (560miles) from the Portuguese mainland, is popular with foreign tourists.

The Foreign Office in London said it was "urgently investigating" reports that a British national was missing after the floods.

It also said a small number of Britons were in hospital on Madeira.

The world's most famous Madeiran, Real Madrid football star Cristiano Ronaldo, said he was "shocked and dismayed" by the floods.

"Nobody can remain indifferent to the disaster," he said. "I want to express my willingness to, as far as I can, help agencies and authorities to overcome the effects of this devastation."

The BBC Weather Centre says the severe weather was due to a low pressure system, and that while Madeira can expect further rain with heavy downpours on Sunday, there is no danger of a repeat of the flash floods.

Source:news.bbc.co.uk/

Portugal Raises Madeira Death Toll To 40

Portuguese authorities say the toll from flash floods and landslides on the island of Madeira has risen to 40 dead -- with more than 100 missing or injured.

Lisbon has sent relief planes and a naval ship equipped with helicopters, to conduct search and rescue missions and deliver much-needed emergency supplies.

The floods were triggered by days of heavy winds and rains.

Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates said he was "deeply troubled" by the deaths and damage and said he planned to visit the island, while Interior Minister Rui Pereira said officials were studying the possibility of declaring a state of emergency and seeking help from the European Union.

The resort island of Madeira is located about 900 kilometers from the Portuguese mainland and is popular with foreign tourists.

Source:rferl.org/

Portugal Sends Aid To Island Hit By Landslides

Portuguese authorities say they are flying out emergency aid to the island of Madeira where at least 32 people have been killed and dozens injured after heavy rain caused flooding and mudslides.
The civil protection agency says a medical team backed up by divers and rescue experts will fly to the tourist destination in the Atlantic Ocean aboard a C-130 transport plane.
The statement says the plane is scheduled to fly out 0900 GMT (4 a.m. EST) Sunday and will also carry telecommunications equipment to help repair damage. Phones lines were knocked out.
Authorities say the storm that hit the island Saturday has also displaced 250 people. Authorities says the storm was the worst to hit the island since 1993.

Source:npr.org/

Portugal flies out aid to Madeira flood victims

MADRID (AP) - Portuguese authorities say they are flying out aid to the island of Madeira where at least 32 people have died after heavy rain caused flooding and mudslides.

The national authority for civil protection said in a statement that a medical team backed up by divers and rescue experts is set to fly to the popular tourist destination archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean aboard a C-130 transport.

According to the statement, the plane is scheduled to fly out 09:00 GMT Sunday and is to also carry telecommunications equipment to help repair damage.

Authorities say the storm that hit the island Saturday has left at least 32 dead and 68 injured with around 250 persons displaced.

The statement said the storm was the worst to hit the island since 1993.

Source:todayonline.com/

Portugal rushes aid to storm-hit Madeira

The Portuguese government is sending emergency aid for Madeira after rainstorms killed at least 32 people on the Atlantic island.

Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates has expressed his shock at the disaster and promised support for the islanders.

Madeira is the main island of a Portuguese archipelago of the same name in the Atlantic Ocean, off the north-west coast of Africa.

AdvertisementFloods swept away cars and tore down houses as the storm hit early yesterday. Roads were blocked by fallen trees as winds exceeded 100km/ph and some bridges also collapsed.

Some phone lines have been disabled forcing the emergency services to appeal over local radio stations for off-duty doctors and nurses to report for duty.

Madeira's regional president Alberto Joao Jardim has appealed for emergency aid from the European Union.

The Portuguese naval frigate Corte-Real set off from Lisbon for Madeira yesterday with helicopters, a medical team and relief supplies.

Also en route are two helicopters and two C-130 Hercules transport aircraft.

A rescue team of 56 police and 36 firefighters left Lisbon for the island's capital Funchal this morning.

'We are studying the possibility of declaring a state of emergency and then seeking help from the European Union,' Interior Minister Rui Pereira said.

Source:rte.ie/