Showing posts with label Portugal call-up. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Portugal call-up. Show all posts

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Portugal to open electric vehicle network in 2011

Imported fossil fuel dependent Portugal plans to replace 10 percent of all vehicles with electric cars by 2020, to cut imports and help manage variable supply from a rapidly growing wind power industry.

"In the first half of 2011 in Portugal we will have a national network to charge these vehicles, it will be possible to go through the whole country without problems of charging electric vehicles," he told Reuters on the sidelines of the European Future Energy Forum in London.

The MOBI.E charging network -- 51 controlled by Energias de Portugal -- will include 1,300 normal and 50 fast charging stations at shopping centers, car parks, petrol stations and hotels in 25 towns and cities around Portugal.

The open system of charging points will be compatible with all electric vehicle brands, including electric motorbikes and heavy goods vehicles when they become available.

Portugal is hoping wide use of electric cars can slash imports of fuels and help absorb some of the extra green electricity that will be generated over the next few decades.

With plans to increase its wind power capacity from around 5 gigawatts by the end of 2010 to 8.50 GW by 2020, Portugal's isolation from the rest of continental Europe because of a lack of grid connections between Spain and France is a big problem.

Construction of power lines across the Pyrenees to France has been delayed for years, trapping vast amounts of renewable energy output in the Iberian Peninsula. nLDE68R11Q

"This is perhaps the main fragility of Europe now to be competitive in the world," Zorrinho said. "The energy networks are not developed and it's not possible to have an internal energy market ... there are physical barriers."

Lisbon is offering 5,000 euros ($6,951) to buyers of the first 5,000 EVs sold in Portugal, with further tax breaks and old combustion engine trade in values adding another 2,300 euros.

The high price of electric vehicles compared to petrol and diesel fueled cars is a major obstacle to EV sales in other European countries.

But very high taxes on conventional cars in Portugal means subsidized EVs are only slightly more expensive than their carbon-emitting competitors, making EVs an attractive option for consumers.

SOLAR SUPPORT

Portugal has one of the largest solar power sectors in the world, supported by big government incentives, but unlike Spain and Germany which are looking to trim support for solar projects, Lisbon has no plans to slash subsidies.

"We have no plans to cut ... It is crucial to develop this sector," Zorrinho said. "We will maintain all the commitments that we have with the industry."

He said financial support for existing projects was assured, but that as technology costs fall less support should be needed to make solar power competitive in future.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bebe hopes to copy Ronaldo


Copy Ronaldo


New Manchester United signing Bebe is hoping to emulate compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo's achievements at Old Trafford.
United boss Sir Alex Ferguson snapped up the little-known 20-year-old striker from Vitoria Guimaraes last week for a reported fee of £7million.
Ferguson admitted Bebe is the first player he has signed without either first seeing him in action or watching videos of his performances following interest from Real Madrid and a number of top clubs in Portugal.
However, the player himself has no doubts about his ability to make the grade in the Premier League.
"To come to a team like Manchester United is a dream come true for any player," he declared. "The Portuguese factor at Old Trafford was a motivation for me.
"You have very big names like Cristiano Ronaldo who has played here and is a very big player now. Nani and Anderson are still at the club.
"I want to become like them and I will work hard to become a top quality player."
Speaking about the swift transfer deal, Ferguson explained: "You've got to trust your staff at times and our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly.
"So were one or two other clubs and that's where you have to make quick decisions in life and I'm not too bad about that. I also spoke to (former assistant and now Portugal coach) Carlos Queiroz about him.
"Sometimes you have to go on an instinct, you look at material. You look at their age and whether they're bringing pace, balance, desire to play and things like that."
(source:sportbox.tv)

Bebe to follow Ronaldo's footsteps

Manchester United,
new-boy Bebe has set himself the target of emulating fellow countryman Cristiano Ronaldo.

As Ronaldo ended up being crowned world footballer of the year during his time at Old Trafford, it is a fairly stiff test, but - it could be argued - Bebe has already won his biggest battle, dragging himself away from the streets to get picked up by one of the world's most glamorous clubs, so anything else is easy.

The 20-year-old said: "You have very big names like Cristiano Ronaldo, who has played here and is a very big player now. Nani and Anderson are still at the club. I want to become like them and I will work hard to become a top quality player."

He added: "To come to a team like Manchester United is a dream come true for any player. The Portuguese factor at Old Trafford was a motivation for me."

Bebe became Ferguson's third summer signing last week when he joined in a £7million deal after United triggered a release clause in his contract with Vitoria Guimaraes.

It was a transfer full of remarkable footnotes, not least the fact Bebe used to play for a team organised by CAIS, the organisation responsible for Portugal's Homeless World Cup Team.

He then ended up joining United after spending only five weeks with Vitoria, having been highlighted by U
"On this occasion I didn't watch him," admitted the United boss. "It is the first time I have done it. Normally I see plenty of video footage but our scouting department is very good and sometimes you have to go on instinct.
nited's Portugal-based scout and gained a glowing recommendation from former United assistant manager and current Portugal national team boss Carlos Queiroz.

Bebe was virtually unknown 12 months ago as he turned out for Portugal third division team Estrela Amadora. But with Real Madrid and a number of top clubs in Portugal starting to take a keen interest, Ferguson decided to make a move, even though he had never seen the striker play, even on video.


"Our scout in Portugal was adamant we must do something quickly. You got to trust your staff at times, so I sent David Gill down there to do the deal."

Friday, February 26, 2010

Porto striker Varela gets first Portugal call-up

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — FC Porto striker Silvestre Varela earned his first Portugal call-up Friday.
The 25-year-old forward, who has scored eight goals in 15 appearances for Porto this season, was included in coach Carlos Queiroz's 17-man squad for Wednesday's friendly game against China in Coimbra, in central Portugal.

Cristiano Ronaldo returns after missing the World Cup qualifying playoffs due to injury.

Sporting Lisbon midfielder Pedro Mendes and Werder Bremen forward Hugo Almeida are also back from injury.

Portugal is in World Cup Group G along with Brazil, Ivory Coast and North Korea.

"I picked (China) for tactical reasons because it plays in the same style as North Korea," Queiroz was quoted as saying on the Portuguese Football Federation's Web site Friday. "It's important for us to get a feel for the Asian style of play."

Queiroz said he may add one or two other players to his squad Monday.

___

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Hilario (Chelsea), Eduardo (FC Braga).

Defenders: Duda (Malaga), Bruno Alves (FC Porto), Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Miguel Brito (Valencia), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea), Rolando (FC Porto).

Midfielders: Tiago (Atletico Madrid), Raul Meireles (FC Porto), Pedro Mendes (Sporting).

Forwards: Nani (Manchester United), Simao Sabrosa (Atletico Madrid), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Hugo Almeida (Werder Bremen), Silvestre Varela (FC Porto), Liedson (Sporting Lisbon).

Source:usatoday.com/